Last updated: October 11, 2018
1.1. Developer’s Tools. This Agreement governs your use of any and all development applications provided by Coinbase, including, but not limited to Coinbase’s application programming interface and any accompanying or related documentation, source code, executable applications and other materials (the “Coinbase API”), the Coinbase Sandbox, available at https://sandbox.coinbase.com/, and any other resources or services available at https://developers.coinbase.com/ (“Coinbase Services”) provided to you pursuant to this Agreement (collectively, the “Developer’s Tools”). Use of the Developer’s Tools is subject to this Part 4 and is also subject to General Use terms, including without limitation the releases, indemnities, disclaimers, limitations of liability, prohibited use, dispute resolution, and cancellation policies set forth above.
1.2. License Grant. Subject to the terms and restrictions set forth in this Agreement, Coinbase grants you a limited, revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferrable and non-sublicensable license solely to use and integrate the Developer’s Tools and underlying content into your website or application (your “Application”) so that your Application can interface directly with Coinbase devices, applications, or services.
1.3. Restrictions and Responsibilities. By using the Developer’s Tools, you agree to the following terms:
1.3.1. You shall:
(1) Register for a Coinbase Account.
(3) Comply with all applicable laws, regulations, licensing requirements, and third party rights (including, without limitation, data privacy laws).
(4) Represent and warrant that your Application, including but not limited to the name of the Application and all content in your Application, does not infringe the Intellectual Property rights of Coinbase or any third party.
(6) Use the Coinbase Marks only as expressly authorized in this Agreement.
(7) Obtain prior written approval from Coinbase prior to releasing any statements, written media releases, public announcements and public disclosures, including promotional or marketing materials, relating to Coinbase, the Coinbase Marks, or this Agreement.
(8) Comply with additional verification procedures in the event that your Application seeks OAuth permissions to transfer Digital Currency in an amount greater than predefined limits.
(9) Take steps to adequately secure your API Keys and OAuth Tokens, including the measures specified at https://developers.coinbase.com/docs/wallet/api-key-authentication and https://developers.coinbase.com/docs/wallet/coinbase-connect/security-best-practices
1.3.2. You shall not:
(1) Copy, rent, lease, sell, sublicense, or otherwise transfer your rights in the Developer’s Tools to a third party.
(2) Alter, reproduce, adapt, distribute, display, publish, reverse engineer, translate, disassemble, decompile or otherwise attempt to create any source code that is derived from the Developer’s Tools.
(3) Cache, aggregate, or store data or content accessed via the Developer’s Tools other than for purposes allowed under this Agreement.
(4) Use the Developer’s Tools for any Application that constitutes, promotes or is used in connection with spyware, adware, or any other malicious programs or code.
(5) Use the Developer’s Tools to encourage, promote, or participate in illegal activity, violate third party rights, including intellectual property rights or privacy rights, or engage in any Prohibited Use or Prohibited Business as defined in the Terms.
(6) Use the Developer’s Tools in a manner that exceeds reasonable request volume, constitutes excessive or abusive usage, or otherwise impacts the stability of Coinbase’s servers or impacts the behavior of other applications using the Developer’s Tools.
(7) Display Developer’s Tools or Coinbase Marks in a manner that could reasonably imply an endorsement, relationship or affiliation with or sponsorship between you or a third party and Coinbase, other than as expressly permitted in writing by Coinbase.
(8) Attempt to cloak or conceal your identity or your Application’s identity when requesting authorization to the Developer’s Tools.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Coinbase, its affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all third party claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) your use of the Coinbase API or your Coinbase Account in violation of this Agreement, (b) your Application that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, or © your failure to secure and keep secret your OAuth Token(s) or API key(s).
2.1. Activities Subject to Additional Restrictions. Coinbase may require you to obtain written consent and complete enhanced on-boarding procedures, and/or may restrict your Application if you would like to create/offer an Application which is designed for or results in any of the following:
2.1.1. Provide International Remittance Services. Any Application which involves a service that provides for: (i) an international (cross border) transfer of funds from a Sender to a Recipient, (ii) without an underlying sale or other bona fide commercial purpose for the transfer.
2.1.2. Provide Banking or Other Licensed Financial Services. Any Application which either holds money for eventual payment or which offers or provides credit, either directly or as a broker or arranger between third parties, or any Application that would require licensing as a bank, money services business, or other financial service provider, or as an escrow service in the jurisdiction where the service’s users reside, unless such Application falls within the definition of a Prohibited Business under the Terms.
2.1.3. Provide Gaming Services. Any Application which involves the payment of funds by a customer in exchange for the chance to earn or win a prize, reward, or other payment.
2.1.4. Provide Digital Currency Exchange Services. Any Application which involves a business engaged in the exchange of Digital Currency for Fiat Currency, funds, or other Digital Currency and which accepts and transmits a convertible Digital Currency or buys or sells convertible Digital Currency for any reason.
2.1.5 Provide Donation Acceptance Services. Any Application which involves a service which allows for the acceptance of donations on behalf of a charity or other religious or spiritual organization.
As between Coinbase and you, the Developer’s Tools, Coinbase Marks, and all intellectual property rights therein and thereto are and shall at all times remain the sole and exclusive property of Coinbase and are protected by applicable intellectual property laws and treaties. You have no rights with respect to Developer’s Tools or Coinbase Marks except as expressly set forth herein. If you obtain Coinbase’s prior written consent, you may use and display Coinbase’s name and logo (“Coinbase Marks”) solely to attribute the Developer’s Tools as the source of your Application.
Coinbase may set limits on the number of API calls that you can make at its sole discretion, for example in the interest of service stability. If you exceed these limits, Coinbase may moderate your activity or cease offering you access to the Coinbase APIs altogether in Coinbase’s sole discretion. You agree to such limitations and will not attempt to circumvent such limitations. Coinbase may immediately suspend or terminate your access to the Developer’s Tools without notice if Coinbase believes, in its sole discretion, that you are in violation of this Agreement or the Terms.
Coinbase may elect to provide you with support or modifications for the Developer’s Tools, in its sole discretion, and may terminate such support at any time without notice. Coinbase may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Developer’s Tools at any time, including the availability of any Developer’s Tools.
6.1 Security. You will use all reasonable efforts to protect Customer Data (as defined below) collected by your Application, including without limitation any personally identifiable information (“PII”), from unauthorized access or use. In the event your systems or infrastructure that are used for storage, processing or hosting Customer Data are breached or compromised, or if Customer Data is inadvertently exposed to non-authorized third parties, you shall notify Coinbase promptly of such a breach or exposure including root cause, remediation steps, and compensating controls to ensure such a breach does not occur in the future. You are responsible for providing customer notification under the state breach notification statutes and any other applicable privacy laws and you will bear the costs incurred by Coinbase resulting from your breach or exposure. You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for any personal injury or property damage arising from or relating to your use of any Developer’s Tools or any authorized or unauthorized use of your Application.
6.3. Data Use. You will not sell any Customer Data or disclose any Customer Data to any third party. Your Application may use Customer Data only as required for use and access to your Application by the end user to whom such Customer Data relates. You shall not sublicense the Customer Data to any third party, and you shall not use or disclose any information derived directly or indirectly from the Customer Data for any purpose other than as set forth above. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you shall not use any part of the Customer Data to create a database separate from your Application or transmit all or part of the Customer Data to any third party for any use separate from your Application. Any use of Customer Data other than as expressly permitted by this Agreement is strictly prohibited.